Sunday, May 17, 2009

It's time to play Aceball!


We were so excited! As we watched the new baseball stadium be built, we counted the days to Opening Day for the new Reno Aces AAA baseball team! The stadium was beautiful, the crowd was atwitter; a new engergy was in the air! As we sat down with our group of friends we could not believe how amazing all of the seats were. There is not a bad seat in the house. We sat at the third base, eleven rows up. The kids Ana, Emma, Kilian, Carley, Erica, Cole, and Brock had fun getting autographs from some of the team members. The adults Wade, Dave, Tracy, and Paul were enjoying the peanuts. The Reno Aces owners were kind enough to let the City of Reno employees buy opening day tickets before they went to the public. So, a lot of my coworkers were sitting in the stands with us. It was the first inning, the other team had just finished so the Aces were up. I decided to go to the snack bar to get some snacks. As I was walking down the aisle with my hands full, my coworker and dear friend Bubba said "Laura, come here! Your daughter was just hit in the eye and Wade ran to the First Aid area with her." Wow! My sweet Ana was hit with a line ball into her right eye by #32 Josh Whitesell. The paramedics were wonderful when I walked into the room they smiled at me calmly stating "she is okay, calm down, she is okay". Ana had an ice pack on her eye; she pulled the ice off and said "It doesn't look bad does it mommy?" I practiced my best acting ever "no honey, it looks fine". I thought I was going to pass out, I thought she lost her eye. It was so swollen and it was bleeding. When I saw Wade's face turn so white, I was terrified. We rushed her in an ambulance to the Emergency Room. The ER staff was so kind I kept asking them to give her some pain medication and Ana was so calm "I am okay mommy". The doctor's told us that they might have to do reconstructive surgery, so not to give her any food or liquid. I always knew my spunky Ana was confident and brave. But, I am still amazed by her demeanor. She was so calm and funny! After they took a CT Scan we found out that she did not break any bones. What a relief! She wanted to go back to the game, but we thought it would be better to go home. She will always remember her first professional baseball game! She can't wait to go back! Kilian saved the ball for her and she wants to meet the player that ht the ball to her!

No comments: